23.2.10

Flowers for Five

Recently I read that it’s a good idea to have a theme in mind and shoot photographs that speak to that theme. There are loads of ideas out there like Shutter Sisters’ “one word project,” and “365.” I happened upon my first photo theme by accident. I spied the most glorious pink roses in a big box store. I was surprised that this particular store would have anything like these flowers. They weren’t long stemmed, stiff roses or a clutch of fading daisies. These pink floribundas were ashes of rose romantically beautiful. As soon as I got home, I grabbed the camera and started taking photos while the flowers were still in the plastic sleeve. I took photos almost every day of the roses, right up to when the lovelies began to die.

 That was three weeks ago and I’ve been buying a bunch of flowers for around $5.00 each weekend. The second week it was red tulips and this week it’s creamy mini carnations edged in red/orange. I’ve taken photos of flowers at different times of the day, as individual blooms and stems and as bouquets. The camera gets close-up and personal in macros mode. I’ve fooled around with the aperture to see what I get. Over the past three weeks I’ve taken hundreds of flower photos, but only a few are what I consider even minimally decent and editing the hardest part of the process.

I stopped at Jo-Ann Fabrics for a few things. While looking at fabrics I held up a piece of gauzy organza spangled with tiny sequins. I wondered…if I covered the lens of my point and shoot camera would I get a filmy tone and a bit of sparkle to the photo? I ended up buying tulle and two pieces of organza.

Once at home I cut a square and held it over the lens with a rubber band. I shot the mini carns and was surprised at the foggy look. The sequins didn’t sparkle like I thought they might, but the result was ok. The tulle covered lens created a patterned fog when paired with the mini carns.

I wish I’d picked up some pale pastel sheers to cast a pink, green, or blue light over the subject. Maybe next time. So far I’m learning from my flowers for five project. It’s a learning journey that will only make me a better photographer down the road.


Have a great day!
Mimi


3 comments:

Nana said...

It's amazing what we can learn when we follow our hearts. Theses photos are lovely and all are frame worthy. They would look beautiful matted and framed and hung in a kitchen or bedroom, or anywhere!
I can't wait to see what you do next!

Anonymous said...

The flower pictures were all outstanding. The tulip picture to me was more than outstanding. I agree with Nana follow your heart.
Carol

Mimi said...

Thanks, Nana. You're always there to support my efforts.

Carol...Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. I covered the lens with the spangled organze in the macro tulip shot. I doubled the fabric in the cluster of tulips right beneath it. It sure makes a very different look.